Thursday, April 23, 2009

The Most 'Foreign' Activity Offered at Lasell

This year, between homework, club meetings, activities and friends, I have been quietly working on something that I hope will change my view on the world for the rest of my life... I have been filling out paperwork, renewing my passport and applying for an Italian visa because I'm studying abroad in Florence, Italy next semester!
My family has rich Italian and Irish backgrounds and it has always been my dream to visit both places. At the beginning of this school year I knew I wanted to study abroad and Lasell made it so easy! There were various meetings and that helped me decide which program best fit me. I chose to travel through AIFS and they have been a huge help. Constant conversing through e-mail with my admissions officer has kept me up to date on everything I need to do and have done.
Two days ago I got my official acceptance letter and it was that moment when the excitement really sunk in. Studying abroad is such an amazing opportunity, one that I am so glad I am taking advantage of. I think it is extremely important for American students to travel and gain a better understanding of countries other than our own. I am taking one communications class, various elementary Italian language courses and a number of art and photography classes.
The cost to travel right now is absolutely horrendous, though through the Lasell College study abroad program traveling to another country and studying there is no more than your yearly tuition. Thankfully, this means all of my financial aid also carries over! The only money my family and I have worry about is for my flight and spending money.
To experience a new culture, language and way of life is something I have always wanted to do and I truly look forward to opening my mind to a new and exciting country!

0 comments: