Friday, February 17, 2012

February Senioritis: The countdown continues

So, it's almost March. There's a lot to look forward to over the next few weeks to be sure. There's all kinds of events on campus, spring break (of course), and the start of baseball season to name a few.



It's also come to my attention that come May 16th, I'll be what some people consider a "grown-up."

There's all the subtle reminders that range from the constant camera flashes from the room where senior portraits are being done, to the monthly deposits for senior week.

Being a senior sounds like an appealing lifestyle on the surface: Soon enough, I won't have to attend classes or write research papers anymore. Soon enough, I won't have to worry about fulfilling requirements to graduate. And soon enough, I won't have the responsibilities and stresses of managing The 1851 Chronicle anymore.

How I wish I could have all of those things for the rest of my life. Because, soon enough, I'll be going on job interviews, sending out applications, and hoping I can find a landing spot shortly after graduation.

I've already applied to a few positions for after graduation, both of which had early application deadlines. One is a fellowship, the other a paid internship. Both are with newspapers, and both are far away from where I expected to end up after graduation.

For the first time in my life, I don't know where I'll be living, who I'll be living with or what I'll be doing on September 1. Both of the positions I applied for are for the summer only. That means I'll still be looking for a place to settle down come August, and I'll have some big decisions to make.

While it would be disappointing if I didn't get either of the jobs I've applied for so far, the bright side would be that I'll have the chance to spend one last summer in Boston with my friends. After all, they're going through all of the same things I am, and there's no guarantee that they'll be around in September either.

For now, I'm trying not to concern myself too much with the prospect of being an... adult. Come May, I could easily be unemployed. But, as a sports fan, I prefer to look at it not as unemployment, but free agency.

0 comments: